Friday, May 20, 2011
![]() |
| Shanna & Amanda |
Amanda B. Team National Executive Coordinator
I recently completed my first Sprint Triathlon through the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Team In Training (TNT). This organization is close to me because I lost my grandfather, Brenton Hanson, to Lymphoma in 1994.
Training for this event was tough especially since it was my first triathlon, but not as tough as the rigorous treatments that blood cancer patients have to endure. I trained for 4 months leading up to the big day! I practiced with my team every Saturday morning at 6 am, during weekday swims and plyometric workouts and on my own throughout the rest of the week.
On the big day, May 15, 2011, I was required to swim 400 meters in the Atlantic Ocean, bike 12.4 miles and run 3.1 miles through Crandon Park located in Miami, FL. My adrenaline was pumping seconds before I jumped into the water with a crowd of other females, I was nervous that I wouldn’t be able to swim the distance especially swimming within such close proximity to many other people. The toughest activity was the biking portion, especially riding over a bridge (it felt like a MOUNTAIN!) while the wind was pushing me back down. I started the run at a slow pace, but picked up towards the end as I sprinted towards the finish line!
As a part of TNT, I was required to raise funds to support LLS’s mission. LLS’s mission is: Cure Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin’s Disease and Myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Team National supported the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s mission by providing a generous donation. All donations collected are used for medical research as well as to financially support patients and their families as necessary.
I am proud to say that I am officially a Triathlete! Participating in this event through this wonderful organization was a very touching experience. I am glad that I have come this far physically and look forward to participating in more events in the future!
Amanda B.
1:46:57
Shanna B. Team National Business Solutions Marketing Coordinator
Completing the Mack Cycle Tri-Miami Sprint Triathlon on behalf of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was an amazing experience. Looking back to the first day of training, I thought that I would not be able to complete the race, I couldn’t even swim the length of the pool without stopping. Fortunately the LLS’s Team in Training provided us with great coaches to properly train and support us along the way. When race day came, I was prepared and I am proud to say that I completed the race!
You may be wondering why I took on such a challenge. Physically, I never attempted anything this difficult, but the challenges of getting through this triathlon are miniscule in comparison to the challenges that go along with fighting cancer. This is a subject that hits close to home for me, my Grandmother was recently diagnosed with cancer and is currently going through treatment, and my Great Grandmother is a cancer survivor. Their treatments stemmed from research done by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The road to remission is not an easy journey, and I want to know that I have done my part in helping fund more research to find a cure.
The staff at Team National showed a great deal of support, encouraging me throughout my training, and helping me reach my fund-raising goal. All proceeds went to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, a non-for-profit, voluntary health organization whose mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, myeloma, and other forms of cancer. With the money donated, the society provides funding for research, public and professional education, advocacy, patient aid and community service programs.
Shanna B.
